The City of Red Wing, NM is located in southeast Minnesota, and was settled by Europeans in the 1850s. Red Wing was incorporated as a city in 1857. The city was named after a famed tribal chief, who was succeeded by a Dakota tribe of the Sioux who ruled this region before the arrival of the white settlers. The red feather in Red Wing's logo refers to Chief Red Wing. The first winged logo was created in 1928, and has been slightly modified over the years, until the current logo, which was created in 2007.
Red Wing Shoes was founded by Charles Beckman, a German immigrant who arrived in America in the late 19th century. When Beckman was 17 years old, he got off the train at Red Wing and found employment at a local leather factory. Working there, Beckman developed an interest in shoemaking. In 1883, he opened a shoe store, inspired by a desire to sell only "truly good shoes." The store thrived, but Charles still believed good shoes were too hard to find, so he decided to become a shoemaker himself. In 1905, with 14 like-minded investors, he founded the Red Wing Shoe Company.